Apartments for Cheap

Questions and Answers

Your Questions About Apartments For Rent In Illinois

February 10, 2013

Mark asks…

what do I need to know in order to move into an apartment in another state?

I plan on moving from New Hampshire to Illinois. What do I need to know? How much money should I save up first? I need all the help I can get to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible.

Notes: I drive a ’98 chevy blazer, and I have very few possessions but I do have 3 cats and a 55 gallon aquarium.

Administrator answers:

Don’t know how soon this is happening, but I would look for a newspaper website that is in or near the place you are moving to. Look at apartment ads, look at crime reports, find out where various apartments are located relative to where you will be working (or whatever you will be doing in Illinois), and relative to where shopping areas are, recreation, entertainment and so on.

You will need to have enough money to pay for at least the first month’s rent, and a security deposit. There may be details in apartment ads, and you can certainly call the rental agency or person to find out exactly what that is. You will need money to buy whatever furnishings you need, kitchen items (pots, pans, dishes, silverware, storage containers and so on), food, gas and all other such living expenses until a paycheck arrives.

Don’t know if you file tax returns in NH, or if you will need to in Illinois but if you do, then you will have to file returns specifically for people who were residents in each state for only part of a year – there are forms specifically for people who are in that category. They can probably be found on each state’s website.

You will need to find out how to re-register your car in Illinois. You can probably find all the information and forms on line through the website of the Illinois DMV. You will need to find out how to get a new driver’s license, which you can also find out about from the DMV website. There are time limits for doing both of those things after you establish residency, and it may be as little as 30 days. You also need to contact your auto insurance company to tell them you are moving and find out if your car insurance will be valid in the new state.

Send in change of address forms to all companies from whom you regularly receive mail – mainly those who send you bills, like credit card companies, and any regular deliveries like magazines. If you pay utilities now, you will need to contact those suppliers to tell them you are leaving, canceling the account and to make sure you get a final meter reading when you actually leave, so you are not held responsible for the use of the next person who moves in.

Good luck.

Thomas asks…

How much tax would accumulated on a $1500/month rent in Illinois?

Hi guys, my rent is $1,500/month for my apartment. I live in Illinois. How much tax do I have to pay every month to the owner? Thank you!

Administrator answers:

Think you mean a late payment for each month not payed or late after the 5th.You’ll need to check your rental agreement/lease,should be in there or ask your land lord.

No tax is ever added in US for rent!

George asks…

Whats the best way to find an apartment in downtown charleston?

Im from up north, so Looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in downtown charleston is tough since i cannot get there. Criagslist? any websites out there?

Administrator answers:

Check out You can narrow down your search based on the number of bedrooms, bathrooms, cost, and other things.

For Illinois go to
South Carolina go to

There are also other like,, and others. Just Google it

Powered by Yahoo! Answers