Apartments for Cheap

Questions and Answers

Your Questions About Free Apartment Lease Form

January 12, 2013

Donald asks…

How do I know when I am ready to live on my own.?

I have just finished my first year of college. However, I feel that I should be putting myself through college and living on my own for various reasons before going back to the University.

I live in Washington state, looking to find a steady job and possibly planning on going to community college for the time being. I would also like to know how much money I should have saved before looking to get a place of my own. Also, should I rent or lease?

Administrator answers:

Build a budget including all income and expenses. Typical monthly expenses include: Rent, Loans, Water, Cable, Internet, Phone, Electricity, Car Insurance, Renter’s insurance, Groceries, Gasoline, and spending money. The cost of bills depends on where you live. There are lots of free budget forms for download; also check out and for help budgeting. Rent should never be more than a third of income; many landlords verify this before they’ll offer a lease. If you don’t have enough money coming in to cover these expenses, consider getting a roommate.

Make a savings plan to prepare for moving out. There are lots of “start-up” costs involved in moving out the first time. Deposits for apartment and bills are the largest factor. Other things to save for are: Furniture (bed, couch/chairs, coffee/side tables, TV stand), electronics (TV, Computer, Microwave), Pots & pans, Dishware, Silverware, Bedding, towels, and the list goes on. Buy items that are easy to move before moving to decrease the amount you’re spending at one time. In addition to saving for the items listed above, put some in savings for a “rainy day” in case of job loss, medical emergency or car accident. $1,000 is the minimum, 3-6 months bills is recommended.

A great way to start on your own is to live by this budget before you move out and put what you expect to pay in bills into a savings account. Not only does this get you in the habit of living off the money budgeted for non-essential items, but it’s a great way to build up savings.

Joseph asks…

My landlord says he has to move us to a different apartment?

Apparently someone want to buy our house (my mom and I think this is a lie), and he says we have to move to another apartment that he owns. There’s no mention of this being able to happen in the lease. Is this legal or whatever? I’ve been wanting to break the lease for a while so I can go to 8th grade in a different town. Has this ever happened to you before? Can we break the lease? I hope we can :(

Thanks :)

Administrator answers:

You say there’s no mention of him being able to do that. Is there mention that he can’t do that? That’s what you need to see… What he can’t do, not what he CAN do. So if there’s nothing that says he can’t do that, he can do that. Also, if he’s moving you to an apartment in the same building or very near the same location to where you are not, that’s the same size, he’s providing you with a place to live. But… If it’s at a totally different location, not near where you are, you could have a case for breaking your lease.

There a known and trusted web site where you can get free legal advice. Once you fill out the form, you would be contacted by an attorney in your area who’s an expert in the field for whatever the issue is. I have used this service, and was very, very pleased. There is NO charge. The lawyer I talked to even told me to call him any time. I’ve worked in corporate law, for a very large corporation for over 20 years. I don’t go to lawyers I work with for personal matters because I prefer my private live remain private. But a few of them did tell me it’s a good site. Give them a call. The lawyer called me but I missed the call. Then I received an email that he tried to call, and left me a number to call.


Mark asks…

How to Break My Apartment lease?

I moved into a student apartments and the lease seems pretty tough to break. My car was broken into in an underground secure parking facility but they claim that they are not responsible for parking (even though I pay them). My neighbors are constantly playing loud music. My AC has not been working for over a month. I’ve told them, they’ve come out to try and fix it but have not been successful. Do I have any legal means of breaking my lease. They have not provided me with hospitable living conditions.

Administrator answers:

You must start documenting in writing( certified letter is best) every notice you provide of unsatisfactory conditions. When you have complained in writing on any item three times – notify them that until corrected you will be placing your rent in an escrow account (actually you must open a new account – a passbook savings is fine – and you must place the rent there on time. If the problem is corrected – fine you pay them – if not the money continues to go into escrow. They will tire of you constant letters and demands and eventually when the time is right and they are talking with you about resolving the issues then suggest that perhaps you would move if they would free you form the lease – they will delight in getting rid of you – BUT be sure to get any agreement in writing that included a promise of good references!

It will take some time but document in writing every occurrence and keep copies of your letters and the proof of delivery. They are not dumb – they will know you are building case against them and they will let you go to avoid more trouble.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers