Apartments for Cheap

Questions and Answers

Your Questions About Studio Apartments For Rent In Portland Oregon

May 23, 2012

Sandy asks…

room for rent in convent or rectory in Portland, OR?

62 year old, male, University professor writing a book. Needs a furnished studio or one bedroom apartment. From June 20 to August 22 at either a convent, monastery or rectory in the Portland, Oregon area close to Happy Valley. Thanks.

Administrator answers:

That’s a very narrow request. Your best bet is to directly contact the convents and monasteries on the east side:
* Franciscan Sisters-Eucharist 503.695.2375
* Adorers of the Holy Cross 503.254.3284

You might also scan the advertisements in Craigslist once in a while. About 95% of all Portland-area housing is found that way:

Michael asks…

What do I need to do to move out of my parents’ house and into a completely different state?

I’ll be 18 in May, 2012. I’ll be done with high school in June of that year. I want to move as soon as I have my diploma in my hands.

The problem is that I have no one to help me with the move. My parents don’t support my ideas and point of views in any shape or form, so I have to get as much information as I can from my teachers at school, which isn’t complete information. I’m living in shitty California right now, where prices are high, and where I’ll probably never be able to make it on my own unless I rent an apartment in a ghetto city and work my ass off barely making it by, or go to college here and still have to put up with depending on my parents who I have a dark past thanks to and being in a state I hate. I want to move to Oregon, where there are no taxes, and where prices are much lower than California. I want to apply for SSI (Am a disabled person), work part time there, and get a tattooing apprenticeship if I don’t get one even sooner and complete it. According to my high school teacher, I can make it by with those plans…I’m hoping to get a small studio apartment or maybe a 1-bedroom for under $700.

If none of that works out, I’ll have to go to college here in California and again depend on my parents and put up with their limited capabilities (Both mental and emotional ones) or go to college in Portland, Oregon, which will be difficult as well, considering the fact that I’ll have the dept of a student-loan hanging over my head by the time I graduate. If I absolutely have to go to college, I want to study animation in the Art Institute.

Where do I start? How do I go about this? Any tips? Suggestions?

Administrator answers:

Ideally, you will need a minimum of 6 months’ living expenses and a job that covers 120% of your estimated living expenses. Your rent should not exceed 33% of your gross (pre-tax) income.

You will need to buy something that gets you to/from work (car, bicycle, shoes, bus pass), a bed or futon, clothes dresser, kitchenware (dishes and cups), table ware (forks, spoons, knives), cleaning supplies and toilet paper, grooming supplies, a vacuum, a refrigerator (your apartment might have one), a checking account to pay bills, and anything else that helps get you through the day. Don’t forget to budget for utilities (gas/propane, electricity, water, sewer, trash, telephone, cable, Internet, and petrol for the car), food, and insurance (auto and renter’s insurance).

You might also want a sofa, chairs, a dining table, cocktail table, lighting, a television and TV stand, and other furniture.

Good luck!

Powered by Yahoo! Answers