Apartments for Cheap

Questions and Answers

Your Questions About Two Bedroom Apartment Plans

September 29, 2012

Mark asks…

Is there a law in Utah regarding apartment size and children?

My husband and I are in Utah and planning to move soon. We are expecting a baby, and I was recently told that there is a Utah law requiring a couple with a child to rent a two bedroom apartment. We were planning on making do in a one bedroom. I cant find anything more about this law- if it actually exists or not. Does anyone know anything about it or where I could find out the facts?

Administrator answers:

I’m not sure, but I’ve heard its 2 people per bedroom, plus you can have one extra person. So, 3 people in a 1 bedroom. 5 people in a 2 bedroom, etc. And seeing and its a baby, I don’t think it will be a problem.

William asks…

If your in a lease, can you switch to a smaller apartment and stay on that lease?

I moved into a two bedroom apartment a year ago, I have 6months on the lease left. I live with 3others and I would like to get out of there ASAP. I dont have the best credit anymore but I have always payed my rent on time. Would it be possible to switch from a two bedroom and carry the lease over to a one bedroom apartment? I am planning on letting the other roomates either take out a new lease on the current apartment or figure something else out for themselves.
Is is possible?

Administrator answers:

The lease is a contract specific to one property, or in your case, one apartment. There are valid reasons for breaking a lease but wanting to move to a smaller apartment is usually not one of them.

If your roommates are also on the lease, they do not have to automatically allow you to leave. You have to talk this over with them. The rent will not be less if you leave. They have to agree to make up the difference, or else find a replacement roommate.

The landlord or property manager does not have to switch your apartment or transfer your lease to a one bedroom.

You are responsible for 6 months rent remaining on your current lease. You should try to find someone to take your place on your current lease, then look to rent the smaller apartment on a new (1 year, or 6 month, or month to month) lease.

The landlord may allow you to leave your current apartment, and take another apartment, but probably it is going to cost you money to make the switch. How much it costs is up to the landlord. At a minimum, you should plan on losing your security deposit on the first apartment, and paying a new security deposit on the new smaller apartment.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers