Apartments for Cheap

Questions and Answers

Your Questions About Hud Apartments Rent

July 3, 2012

Donna asks…

I live in subsided housing/hud… 30 percent of income?

HI my child,fiance and I living in an apartment that goes by 30 percent of your income. At the moment I go to school full time and our only income is my fiances unemployment check which equals to 178 a week AFTER taxes.
Our rent is 252 a month. They go by his unemployment check BEFORE taxes so they are going by $203. Seems like we are having such a difficult time coming up wit out rent every month. Is the price of our rent accurate? I tried figuring it out on my own.
203×4=812….30 % of 812=243.6
I just don’t understand why it’s 252 and not 243? Maybe because some months have 5 weeks?
They also claim we get a discount for having a child but I don’t think we do. I think we are being over charged if anything….Please let me know! Thank you!

Administrator answers:

1 week is 7 days. For most business averages, 1 month is taken as 30 days. That means there are 30/7 = (about) 4.2857 weeks per month. Sorry for the extra digits, but that should make the result good to the penny.

Your before-tax weekly income in $203/week. That comes to:

$203 x 4.2857 = $870.00 per 30-day month.

30% of that is 261.00 / month, based on after tax income. That’s more than you’re paying, so you’re getting 30 days (average) of rent for just about 29 days of payment.

Working backwards, that $252 rent is exactly 30% of a 30-day income at $196 per week. Could they have a reason to use $196/week as their estimate of your income?

The 30-day rule is fair, and actually works a bit in your favor over the course of a year. You will be charged rent for 12*30 = 360 days each year, instead of 365 or 366. February will hurt worse than other months, though, having to come up with rent 2 days sooner.

Good luck, study hard and I hope school and other things work out for you, and soon!

Lisa asks…

Apartment is a wreck?

I live in Alabama, and I am rent an apartment from a woman that owns them not throught hud or any federal branch. All the windows leak air bad one water and is rotting at the bottom. The windows have been like that (leaking started 6 months she had maintaince to fix it but didnt stop) since moving in over a year ago and still not fixed them and the other problems. Who do i call to get her to fix it i know hud only is for government housing what is normal housing?
sorry for the wording just very upset right now.

Administrator answers:

There is no one to call. Since you pay your own rent, not the government you are free to pick just about anywhere you want to live. You picked this place. You can not force her to alter it into a different place, if you want something else you need to move.

Joseph asks…

I am on Hud housing but my credit is bad until 2013?

I have been trying to leave Alaska but I lost a fairly decent job several years ago and got behind in some bills, plus the last landlord I rented to charged me $476 cleaning charges I refused to pay because the place was immaculate. They charged me for cleaning the carpeting and put in new carpet. They didn’t deduct one deposit I made and my rent was always paid every month. Now this bill is over $1000 and on my credit report. I called the credit bureau and they can put the dispute on my credit report. I’ve lived in my current apartment 3 years now and never any complaints. I just am tired of living in a crooked state such as Alaska with 1000 sexual offenders running around and the cost of living so high and 10 months of winter. If I have to spend another winter here I don’t know if I can handle it. Why do people have to be such out and out liars and crooks these days? I’ve been very sick too and on disability now and a survivor of cancer. Women are treated like absolute dogs in Alaska! Help!
I think it’s just a year. And they did this to me three years ago. I tried to see a Pro Bono lawyer to contest the charges but they had none in Anchorage. It’s really a bummer too. People can get away with murder in this state and nothing ever done about it! I explained this to a possible landlord in Oregon. They do work with people because the economy is so bad.

Administrator answers:

If the statute of limitations has not expired you should take your previous landlord to small claims court.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers