Apartments for Cheap

Questions and Answers

Your Questions About Income Based Apartments

February 15, 2012

Maria asks…

does anyone know how to find income based apartments in sacramento Ca?

i am trying to find income based apartments for my mother and father in law. the monthly income is 900 a month. if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it. thank you

Administrator answers:

This is generally handled by HUD or the local housing authority.
Based on your question, I googled Sacramento income based apartments and a lot came up. You apparently have a computer, so just do a search.
If you want to check the local housing authority, here is there website.


I do know in CA there is quite a waiting list for housing assistance, (like two to four YEARS) but it would be worth your while to call or go to the website to investigate.

Laura asks…

does anyone know of some income based apartments in or around the dallas area in tx?

me and my fiancee are expecting our second baby, and cant afford really high rent anymore, i was just wondering if anyone knew of some income based apartments.

Administrator answers:

You can check and maybe they have something on there. Good luck and congrats on the new baby!!!

Ken asks…

Where can I find a list of income based apartments/town homes in Milwaukee, WI?

I would like to know where i can find a information on how to obtain a link or application for income based apartments/townhomes in Milwaukee, I searched on every website link i could think of. Please if you know can you please list it on here for me.

Administrator answers:

This site gives you a list for low-income apartments: Some are only for those that are disabled, some are for those that are elderly, and some are for low-income families… So you’ll need to choose what’s applicable to your situation. The website for your local housing authority is: This site shows that low-income housing wait list is currently closed, but that they are accepting applications for the moderate-income housing program.

Paul asks…

How to find income based apartments in Columbus, Ohio?

Im looking for an apartment that goes by your income, in Columbus Ohio. Please tell me any answer that you may have: If its apartments that you know of or have telephone numbers or links. Thank you so very much.

Administrator answers:

You can’t apply directly with them anyway, calling would not help.

First you need to apply with the housing authority, if you qualify they will give you a specific list of vacancies you qualify for, you then make the calls.

Nancy asks…

Income based apartments/housing in Cleveland, Ohio?

I’m searching for income based apartments in Cleveland and I can’t seem to find anything when I look on the internet. I’m not sure if I should fill out for CMHA considering that I have no children and the wait will be even longer for me. I haven’t been lucky enough to find an apartment because I have been turned down due to not making “three times the rent.” What options do I have if any? Or any suggestions?

Administrator answers:

Some types of subsidized apartments don’t put people with children high on the list automatically. You should still go to county Housing agency. If they require 3x the rent, you are looking at too expensive apartments and should come down in your expectations. Most apartments ask for 1 1/2 – 2 x the rent. If you have good previous refs and good credit that makes up for your lack of income sometimes. Getting into public housing or Section 8 does not require children so get on the waitlist. Check out other resources to find a reasonable apartment.


Lisa asks…

Where are income based apartments in baltimore county?

I am looking for income based housing. I am not on any section 8 or TCA. Housing preferably in Rosedale, White Marsh, Parkville, Essex, or Dundalk.

Administrator answers:

You need to inquier with the housing authority. There are different ones for different income levels compared to the local median.

Helen asks…

What’s the difference in section 8 and income based apartments?

I’m looking at moving out, but I’m confused between section 8 and ones that you pay a percent of your income as rent. Are they the same or how are they different?

Where would I go to apply for a section 8 place? Will pretty much anyone accept them (its a small town, but I knew the neighbor’s family before they moved here, about 10 years at least)?

Administrator answers:

Income-based housing is often offered as part of the project-based Section 8 program. In these cases, the lower rent is connected to a particular apartment or complex, and individuals qualify by proving that they fall within the accepted income range. There are several factors that go into finding out how much rent you’ll be charged if you live in a public housing facility. Income-based rent is one of these, and is generally calculated to be 30 percent of your adjusted household income and changes with family income considerations.

The Section 8 Rental Voucher Program increases affordable housing choices for very low-income households by allowing families to choose privately owned rental housing. The public housing authority (PHA) generally pays the landlord the difference between 30 percent of household income and the PHA-determined payment standard-about 80 to 100 percent of the fair market rent (FMR). The rent must be reasonable. The household may choose a unit with a higher rent than the FMR and pay the landlord the difference or choose a lower cost unit and keep the difference.

You would apply at your local social services office in your city.


Sharon asks…

What can my annual gross income be for income based apartments?

me and my husband are applying both of our income together is 15,100 a year

Administrator answers:

You will not qualify. Both of you need to work at least 32 hours a week, obviously you are not.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers